I’ve just released version 1.14.2 of the CUNY Academic Commons. This is a maintenance release, which addresses the following bugs:
- Fix escaped quotes on Public Portfolio widgets
- Increase performance when deleting bbPress topics and replies
- Increase performance of activity queries with respect to Social Paper filtering
- Fix bug in BuddyPress that could cause incorrect metadata to be stored for post items in some cases
- Remove Simple CSS metabox from front-end interface, especially in Events
- Fix bug preventing the creation of groups in some cases
- Fix bug that caused Submit button to be inaccessible in some cases when previewing forum post
- Fix bug in Site Layout tool that prevented site privacy settings from being saved properly
- Add notice when leaving site creation process (as to visit a demo site) without saving changes
For complete details, visit the 1.14.2 milestone.
The fourth Tuesday of December – normally the date of a Commons maintenance release, per our release schedule – falls in 2018 on the 25th, Christmas Day. For this reason, the 1.14.3 release has been rescheduled for Wednesday, December 26th.
I’ve just released version 1.14.1 of the CUNY Academic Commons. This maintenance release follows up on the 1.14 major release, and addresses a few issues raised there, in addition to some broader performance related issues:
- Improve compatibility with PHP 7.2
- Improve performance of BPGES email sending queues
- Fix bug that caused Plugin Package tag to appear in incorrect spot
- Fix bug that caused database query loop when posting to multiple forums
- Improve appearance of Site Layout picker on mobile devices
For complete details, visit the 1.14.1 milestone.
I’ve just released version 1.14.0 of the CUNY Academic Commons. This is one of our twice-yearly “feature releases”, which are the focus for major new functionality built by the Commons team. For 1.14, we’ve emphasized the site creation and management process, introducing new tools that help Commons users get their sites up and running as quickly and painlessly as possible:
- Our new “site templates” features allows you to spin up a site that matches a template that is pre-filled with a specific use case in mind. Powered by a custom plugin built by our team: http://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac-site-templates
- “Plugin packages” are an easy way to offer grouped sets of plugins – such as the “Teaching Package” – for one-click activation. Powered by a custom plugin built by our team: https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac-plugin-packages
- Improved license management for Commons sites, with a focus on Creative Commons licensing. Powered by a custom plugin built by our team: https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac-creative-commons
- New widgets that support classroom use of the Commons, including widgets for CUNY campus affiliation, integration with CUNY OneSearch, and CC licensing.
The new Courses tab on the top-level navigation gives visitors a high-level view of the courses using the Commons.
We’ve also added some new functionality related to group and site management, including the ability for users to leave sites that they’d no longer like to be members of, and the ability to exit the group creation process.
For complete details on the release, visit the 1.14 milestone.
I’ve just released version 1.13.13 of the CUNY Academic Commons. This maintenance release includes a large number of performance fixes, in addition to the following:
- Fixed a bug that caused text entry to break when an apostrophe was entered into a text-entry Portfolio field
- Improved PHP 7.2 compatibility in a large number of plugins and themes
- Fixed a bug that caused some user subscriptions to appear incorrectly in some group listings
- Improved the text of the confirmation email when deleting a site
- Fixed a bug that caused group social media links to appear incorrectly in some cases
For complete details, visit the 1.13.13 milestone.
The following plugins will receive major updates as part of the 1.13.14 release of the CUNY Academic Commons, scheduled for November 27, 2018:
- Accordion Slider Lite (1.4)
- Broadcast (43.10)
- Custom Post Type UI (1.6)
- Customizer Export/Import (0.9)
- FancyBox for WordPress (3.1)
- FooBox Image Lightbox (2.6)
- Geo Mashup (1.11)
- Gutenberg (4.1)
- Jetpack by WordPress.com (6.6)
- List category posts (0.79)
- MetaSlider (3.10)
- OneTone Companion (1.1)
- Redirection (3.6)
- Shortcodes Ultimate (5.1)
- Smush (2.9)
- The Events Calendar Category Colors (6.0)
- Yoast SEO (9.0)
- YouTube (12.2)
The following theme will receive major updates as part of the 1.13.14 release of the CUNY Academic Commons, scheduled for November 27, 2018:
- Author (1.34)
- Basic (1.9) (Themify)
- Rowling (1.13)
For more details on major update releases, please visit our release schedule and procedures page.
Commons In A Box 1.1.0 is now available, which includes the new OpenLab package. Read more about CBOX OpenLab, and about the 1.1.0 release.
The Commons will be undergoing important maintenance on Friday, October 19. We, along with other sites hosted at the CUNY Graduate Center, are migrating part of our server infrastructure, and upgrade which will include updated versions of PHP, MySQL, and other important system software. The migration will take place between 9am and 1pm.
We don’t anticipate that users will experience any downtime during this migration. But if problems do arise during this time, please monitor https://commonsstatus.wordpress.com for updates, and reach out to email@example.com with questions. Thanks for your patience.