New MediaWiki extension: BuddyPressActivity

One of the most interesting vantage points from which to monitor goings-on around the CUNY Academic Commons is the BuddyPress activity feed. The sitewide feed – located on the Commons’s News page – lists all the activity happening the blogs, groups, and profiles around the site. There are activity streams for individual users and for those users’ friends as well – you can mine, for instance, here.

wiki-activity

Until recently, though, these streams did not include information the activity taking place in the wiki portion of the site. I’ve developed a extension for MediaWiki (the software that powers the Wiki section of the Commons) called BuddyPressActivity that rectifies this shortcoming. For websites – like the CUNY Academic Commons – that have integrated our homegrown MediaWiki/Wordpress MU integration, this extension will update BuddyPress activity streams to include edits to pages within the wiki, thus better reflecting the extent and variety of the action on the site.

You can find out more about the extension – and download the code for use on your own MW/WMPu installation – at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BuddyPressActivity.

Posted in Plugins and Extensions.

Tagged with , , , , .

4 Tweets 2 Other Comments

16 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Avatar of Matthew K. Gold Matthew K. Gold says

Awesome work, Boone — as always!

2. Boone says

Thanks for the shout-out. I am really anxious to start touting the activity feeds as a real center for the CUNY Academic Commons. It seems to me that these kinds of streams, along with the personal profiles, play a key role in making people feel at home and fostering community. This is one thing that Facebook gets right – they split the focus between the persona that the individual actively creates and the group persona that emerges from the activity that the community engages in. Put together, these two personae have the potential to give the site a real, distinct personality. Extensions like this one are baby steps in that direction.

This comment was originally posted on bavatuesdays

3. Reverend says

Boone,

I agree, and add to it the ability for people to add and stream feeds of their activity from a variety of sites like flickr, youtube, twitter, an external blog, delicious, etc., and you have a really powerful hub of activity and relevance. The key would be to connect users based on those incoming data feeds, and make the idea of relationships that much clearer. It is the right model, and the future of all of this.

4. Avatar of Maura A. Smale Maura A. Smale says

Fantastic news, thanks Boone!

5. creamondi says

I got this error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /../wiki/extensions/buddypress-activity/buddypress-activity.php:2) in /../wiki/includes/WebResponse.php on line 16

6. J.H. Snider says

Is this extension compatible with WordPress 3.0? The Cuny website appears to be regularly updated with new versions of WordPress, so I would think so. But the Mediawiki extension page has not been similarly updated.

7. Avatar of Boone Gorges Boone Gorges says

No, I haven’t updated this plugin. I’m accomplishing the same goal (getting MW edits into the BP activity stream) in a different, more BuddyPress-focused way, using RSS and this plugin: http://dev.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2010/05/25/new-buddypress-plugin-bp-external-activity/

Continuing the Discussion

1. Teleogistic / New MediaWiki extension: BuddyPressActivity linked to this post on July 6, 2009

[...] activity streams native to BuddyPress. You can learn more about this bit of extreme coolness at the CUNY Academic Commons Dev Blog. The New MediaWiki extension: BuddyPressActivity by Boone , unless otherwise expressly [...]

2. Integrating MediaWiki into BuddyPress Activity Streams at bavatuesdays linked to this post on July 6, 2009

[...] of MediaWiki, WPMu, and BuddyPress that much more useful. You can read his post about the extension here, but short version is that edits made in MediaWiki by anyone within the user community will show up [...]

3. New MediaWiki extension: BuddyPressActivity – CUNY Academic Commons Development Blog linked to this post on August 2, 2009

[...] Originally posted here:  New MediaWiki extension: BuddyPressActivity – CUNY Academic Commons Development Blog [...]

4. Version 0.2 of BuddyPressActivity - CUNY Academic Commons Development Blog linked to this post on August 24, 2009

[...] releasing my MediaWiki extension BuddyPressActivity, which puts wiki edits into your BuddyPress activity stream, I’ve noticed a bug or two. In [...]

5. WPMu Development for Education » Blog Archive » Version 0.2 of BuddyPressActivity linked to this post on August 24, 2009

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

*
To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture. Click on the picture to hear an audio file of the word.
Anti-spam image

Additional comments powered by BackType